-Get Firefox! join the tribute to the victims of 9/11Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator barbtries a blog: orders
barbtries a blog
Wednesday, April 06, 2005
 
orders
Hi mom, time for an e-mail. I spoke to my detailer today, and I have orders. I have good news and bad news. Bad news first: I'm going to a ship. Good news: it's stationed in San Diego.
It's the USS Pearl Harbor (LSD 52). I'll be on independant duty, meaning that I'll be the only journalist on board. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. I'll be heading there in January. Odds are, I'll drive cross country from here in December, spend a month in LA and then drive down to San Diego. Hopefully my car won't break down.
I'm pretty happy about this. I knew I was going to a ship, and I'm just glad that it's not a carrier. Instead of a 3,000-6,000 man crew, I'll have 400-900. Should make living conditions a bit better.
Now, before you get all excited thinking that I'll be only two hours away and can come visit any old time, remember that I have no idea what the ship's deployment schedule is like. It's entirely possible that I could spend three years on that ship and only spend 180 days in port. It's also entirely possible that I could spend those 180 days on duty.
But, I'll find out more about that in the months to come. For now, I have an early day today (I get off at noon) and I'm working on doing as little as possible in the next two and a half hours. I've spent the last two weeks skating, and the ice I'm on is growing thinner and thinner. But that's fine. I've only got eight more months in this state. Then I can turn my back on the submarine force forever.
Anyway, should I find it strange that the ship I'm going to shares the name with the port where my grandfather came under attack? I hope not.
Love you,
Andy

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Who am i, what am i
A picture's worth

moon phases
 

<!-- the ageless project -->

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

BlogSnob

I stand on the sand, and I'm rocking grief to sleep in my arms.


issues
Poetry roll
Comments by: YACCS Powered by Blogger

www.flickr.com

Get Flash


I play poker at Poker.com
The current mood of barbtries at www.imood.com blog explosion