-Get Firefox! join the tribute to the victims of 9/11Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator barbtries a blog: blogalogsplog
barbtries a blog
Saturday, June 19, 2004
 
blogalogsplog
...she is comforted in knowing she can no more be torn from her words
as she can be apart from love.
always longing and communing in her spirit.


these words from my friend/benefactor/employer/angel comfort me today...how long can i be "fallow" and still call me a writer? i wonder sometimes. overall not a great pause here.

so i did have some ideas for the blog today. why these ideas i'll never figger out but there you are. maybe cause a woman who was a friend since childhood has been on my mind, and my lips, maybe that's it. there could be any number of reasons something that seems to me to be pretty much off the wall occurred to me - as a blog entry.

so fuck it. where i grew up in torrance california just north of the tract where we lived was the shopping center del amo. and across the parking lot from del amo - which extended from sears to the south all the way to broadway on the north, and was not enclosed back in the day - was a magic chef supermarket next to a thrifty drug store.

i think my weight problem was born in the coffee shop of the thrifty [anyone else remember the days when you went to the thrifty drug store to eat?!}. fifty nine cent hot fudge sundaes. yep. ooh i ate a shitload of those and they were so good.

over at the magic chef when i was very young for a time they had an ice cream vendor there - the rocky road was the best ever, marshmallow creme and whole almonds. there are some brands out nowadays that come close but not to that level of excellence. my theory is that the ice cream was too good and they were driven out of business because they couldn't charge enough money to break even.

not with the thrifty right next door serving 59 cent hot fudge sundaes.


mmmm....i just remembered what made me think of this! it was that i heard Sufragette City today. it reminded me of the entertaining messages written on the wall in the restroom of the magic chef. this was about 35 to 37 years ago, when i was 12 or 13 years old, i guess...i remember these two graffiti:

wham means he puts it in
bam means it feels real good
thank you ma'am means he tips his hat when he leaves


and

to be is to do - kant
to do is to be - sartre
do be do be do - frank sinatra


now i no doubt have the philosophers' names mixed up or altogether wrong. but you get the gist.

happy father's day to all of the fathers whose children call them dad.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Who am i, what am i
A picture's worth

moon phases
 

<!-- the ageless project -->

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

BlogSnob

I stand on the sand, and I'm rocking grief to sleep in my arms.


issues
Poetry roll
Comments by: YACCS Powered by Blogger

www.flickr.com

Get Flash


I play poker at Poker.com
The current mood of barbtries at www.imood.com blog explosion